Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Manuscript Submissions

Okay, so, here I am at my former favorite place in the world, Let It Shine. My new favorite place, for the record, is the library. If I had an addiction, it would be books. I love books. I love book covers. My favorite cover is the one for Black Beauty done by Kingfisher. Dark blue and gold, with the perfect silhouette of a black horse. It’s really pretty. I have something sort of like that in mind for the cover of my book, Sacred Promise.

I’m supposed to be editing SP, but editing is such a draaag. So I’m editing a different one, Line Of Fire. I’m going to submit it to Long Tale Press. It’s a pretty cool site. How it works is – actually, I’ll just give you their explanation.

--
Long Tale Press strives to publish the best fiction possible by letting readers tell us what they like best. We don’t mean simply letting customers tell us things like “please publish more mysteries with ‘accidental investigator’ main characters,” (although you can certainly tell us that over in the forums if you like). We mean letting customers tell us which manuscripts submitted by writers are the ones we should devote our publishing resources to. You know what you like better than we ever will. So tell us, and we’ll publish that. Along the way, we do our best to create a community around every manuscript in our system so that writers can have a direct connection to their readers, find out what’s working well in their writing and where they could improve, and get the kind of unbiased feedback that simply isn’t possible from friends, family members, and co-workers.
--

It seems like a good place to start building a rep – something that certainly couldn’t hurt a fifteen year old girl trying to get published. My Mom and I are still looking at other options, especially Morris Publishing. It’s more of a printer than a publisher, so you pay them the flat fee for printing your books and then you handle everything else on your own. You can’t get hardcover books, though.

I’m hoping to have Line Of Fire posted on Long Tale Press within two or three weeks (it’s on the longish side and I have to go over it with a fine tooth comb). I’m also editing books for some friends (yes, KateKale, that means you and you haven’t sent me a chapter in a loooong time).

Anyhow, my books are calling to me. We’re going to the library tomorrow and I have to finish five books before that so I can fill up my card again. M’off! Later-Later, Gabrielle

1 comment: