Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My Query Letter

It starts. The absolutely terrifying experience of querying agents. Everything has to be perfect. No place for second chances here. I am surrounded by books telling you (hopefully) everything you need to know to make a spectacular query letter. Naturally it all boils down to me and my writing talent. That would be the absolutely terrifying part. What if I’m really an awful writer? I don’t think I am. But then again, trying to judge yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth. Not happening.

Right now I’m reading “Your Novel Proposal; From Creation to Contract.” It’s interesting for a nonfiction book. And once I’ve read that and the scores of other books sitting in a pile on my bedroom floor, hopefully I’ll be ready to write my letter.

Honestly, I'm scared stiff at the prospect and am trying to think no further than to finish reading the how-to books. Prayers would be appreciated. When I get nervous I'm useless.

3 comments:

  1. You might find helpful Noah Lukeman's e-book How to Write a Great Query Letter. You can download it for free from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of writing a query letter, I would love to know what it is.

    P.S. I got here from Amber's blog. If you want, feel free to drop by my blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A query letter is a letter you send to an editor or publisher that tells them a little bit about your book and asks if they want to see more.

    ReplyDelete